The Basics of Saving With Affinity CU
Our many benefits include:
Savings made easy
Affinity Credit Union is registered for SEPA payments and your account with Affinity CU has it’s own individual IBAN. Set this up as a payee with your bank and create a regular standing order.
Direct Debit Payment
We can set up a Direct Debit from your bank account to facilitate regular savings. You choose the amount, the date and the frequency.
Online Card Payment
Anytime, anywhere, login to your account through Online Banking and make a debit card payment instantly into your account.
Telephone Card Payment
Monday to Saturday, during office hours, you can phone us, and we can take a lodgement by debit card securely over the phone.
We have five branches where we can accept cash, card or cheque lodgements, during opening hours.
Limits on savings
Members might be surprised to learn that high levels of savings can actually be very challenging for Credit Unions as regulatory rules require us to allocate and hold an additional 10% of the value of all members’ savings in our ‘Regulatory Reserve’ account. Put simply, for every €1,000 our members have saved with us, we must put aside €100 from our surplus to this reserve account.
To address this, Affinity Credit Union must limit the amount of money members can have in savings with the Credit Union. This approach is in line with the majority of other Credit Unions.
Therefore, the maximum amount that a member (individually or in association with another member) may hold in Affinity Credit Union Limited is €25,000. Not more than €1,000 will be accepted in any one calendar month from a member individually or a member acting in association with another.
Still Have Questions?
Have a question? See if it's answered below in our Frequently Asked Questions.
Yes. Affinity Credit Union is a financially strong and stable credit union and member’s savings continue to be guaranteed by the Government Deposit Guarantee Scheme.
We can accept lodgements up to €1,000 per member per calendar month. The maximum amount that a member (individually or in association with another member) may hold in Affinity Credit Union Limited is €25,000.
There are a number of ways to make a lodgement into you savings account.
- A SEPA payment – using the IBAN for your Affinity Credit Union account, you can make a SEPA transfer from your bank. (Please note: Affinity Credit Union is registered for SEPA payments only. Affinity Credit Union is unable to accept SWIFT payments. You may incur charges if you attempt to send money to your account in Affinity Credit Union via SWIFT.)
- A Direct Debit – if you wish to save regularly, we can set up a Direct Debit from your bank account to your Credit Union. This can be set up in branch, or e-mail us at email@example.com
- Online Debit Card payment – with online access, through Online Banking, you can make a debit card payment into your credit union account. Login here or register here.
- Telephone Debit Card payment – we can accept a Debit Card payment securely over the phone during officer hours.
- In branch – with cash or debit card. See opening hours here.
There are no hidden fees or charges on savings accounts with Affinity Credit Union.
There will be a fee of €5 incurred if a direct debit is returned unpaid, i.e. there was insufficient funds to meet this payment. This is a fee the bank charges the Credit Union, and we must pass that fee on. We alert all members to this when first setting up a Direct Debit. If a Direct Debit is returned unpaid 3 times, we will cancel this so the member does no incur any further fees.
When you become a member of Affinity Credit Union, you’re opening a shares account. This is your main savings account, but you also have a share in the ownership of Affinity Credit Union. This is why account holders are referred to as members and not customers. Along with having a say in the operation of Affinity Credit Union you also earn dividends.